Saturday, October 11, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green


California Young Reader Medal Nominee for 2014-2015

This novel confronts the ugly reality of teens battling cancer.  It does not create euphemisms to avoid the harsh side effects of treatment or the depression often associated with this illness.  It is a raw and honest look into the lives and hearts of teenagers fighting an often deadly battle.  That being said, it is also a story of connection, hope, empathy and love.  Hazel, reluctantly falls in love with the witty and intelligent Augustus Waters.  Their connection begins in a cancer support group and follows both their relationship and the struggles and triumphs of the various members of the group.

I found the novel to be engaging and realistic.  I loved the fact that I could really gain access to the individual personalities of these characters, forcing me to read just one more chapter when I should have been asleep.  The characters were smart and well read.  There were several references to novels that I had read. The story is consuming, and although I was at times afraid to know what would happen next, I could not wait to read on and find out for myself.
Mrs. Flores

View the link below for a Book Brief podcast on this novel.

Episode 01: The Fault in Our Stars

Book Trailer




No comments:

Post a Comment

Dark Rise

  Dark Rise by C. S. Pacat Book one in the DARK RISE trilogy THE ANCIENT WORLD of magic is no more. Its heroes are dead, its halls are ruin...